Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Recent Ph. D Readings

Cool graphic, pending.
So I'm getting distracted. But I wanted to let my fellow hispanists know about an amazing book, La muerte de Alec. It's a Columbian novel by Jaramillo and it's got some cool pseudo-Borgesian detective things going on. If you get a chance, it's a quick read.
In other news, I just read El lugar sin límites. After overcoming my initial shock, I really enjoyed the novel.
And now I need to stop getting distracted and finish reading El falso cuaderno de Narciso Espejo. Ciao for now.

3 comments:

  1. I am reading a book that seems to be about memory and photography, although much of the action, thus far takes place in manicomios y burdeles. It seems like a combination for success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben- are you, by chance reading No me verás llorar? Because if so, I am too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What are you/were you reading? I've gotta get you a copy of La muerte de Alec sometime...it's got quotes from la memoria de Shakespeare..Bascially the protagonist writes through the memories of someone else.
    El lugar sin límites is quite the novel. It's setting is a whorehouse run by a tranvestite (or cross dresser at the least) in an area abandoned by the rest of society. Donoso actually reminded me a lot of reading Mike Wilson, Zombie at least. You should check it out (though I'm not sure we'd ever read it at BYU).

    ReplyDelete